OSD

The OSD forum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Protect yourself in China. Part1: ATM scam

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SamGor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male
Number of posts : 43
Grade (Ex:IET04 or guest) : IET04
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Protect yourself in China. Part1: ATM scam   Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 pm

Ever heard of someone's ATM card being eaten by the ATM and the day after, his account was emptied? He reported to the bank but the bank told him that the ATM didnt eat his card and his $$$ was withdrew legally.
HOW THE F*** DID IT HAPPEN?
The answer is ATM scam, babe!!

The thief inserts a small peice of plastic in the ATM slot...

...to prevent the roller from ejecting the ATM card

See the red arrow, it's pointing at the plastic which gets the roller stuck and therefore the card can not be ejected.

Or the thief can simply use double sticky tape to stucken your card.
By this way, the card can't either be read by the machine or ejected even you press any button on the keyboard hundreds of times.

What happens next?
1. You try to call the emergency hotline shown on the ATM, well let me tell you, it's either no one answering or it's a fake, someone picks up the line and tell you to come to the bank tomorrow to claim your card. Or you're lucky enough it's a real number, who knows. BUT THE POINT IS: DON'T LEAVE THAT ATM.
2. Someone lines up behind you will tell you to go to the bank tomorrow or ask you to type your PIN number again, maybe it'll work. Again, DON'T LEAVE THE MACHINE AND DON'T LISTEN TO HIM.

The correct way should be: stay there, call your friends, then call the yellow page hotline in China which is 114 to ask for correct emergency hotline of the bank. Call the bank to confirm if your card is being eaten by the machine, if the bank tells you there's no such thing, then you can report to them of a possible ATM thief and tell them to freeze your account (I think you should remember your card number, account number, and the name of the subbranch you opened your account...)

When you have no choice but to use a strange ATM, check if it's normal...

This is an attachment which looks like it belongs to the ATM, but it's a card lecher, it will copy all of your card's info and then the thief can fabricate another ATM of yours

See if there's other things that isn't meant to be around the ATM

Is it really of no harm at all? Look again...

It's a camera which records the screen and the keypad, now you know why they know your PIN, my friend!

Structure of a leaflet ads box: mini cam, battery, antenna...

[All demonstrated images is from a guy name Kevin from www.blackhat.com ]

In conclusion, DON'T EVER LEAVE YOUR CARD BEHIND until you know exactly what's going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobvo84
Private First Class
Private First Class

Male
Number of posts : 17
Grade (Ex:IET04 or guest) : CM04
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Protect yourself in China. Part1: ATM scam   Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:09 pm

wa liao...how do u get such scary information bro....i'm affraid of china now...they can make everything, the info is like movie man....sooo horrible...
well...i think i will call u if i'm in such case hue hue hue...but wish never happend to me...
damn those goddamn theif....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SamGor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male
Number of posts : 43
Grade (Ex:IET04 or guest) : IET04
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Protect yourself in China. Part1: ATM scam   Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:28 am

Dunno the origin of those pics, looks like westerns, but thiefs these days also use Internet, right? Very Happy In China, the actual scams may vary from what I've posted but the general targets are still your ATM card and your passwords.
I saw a news on TV months ago that some thiefs add another keypad on the ATM's original one, by that way they dun need the hidden cam and it still works out better than the cam, cause if people cover their hands when pressing PIN (like I usually do), hidden cam can't record it Wink So check if the keypad is strange or not guys!!!

But dun be afraid la... If we use ATMs at crowded places or places there are surveillance cameras, then chance of being scammed is nearly zero la!!! afro Now the only thing I concern is whether the surveillance cameras need to sleep at night or not Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jenjen
Corporal
Corporal

Female
Number of posts : 25
Grade (Ex:IET04 or guest) : iet03/04
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re:   Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:27 am

wow sam such a good samaritan lol. yea it happened to my thai friend on yueken lu bank of china branch. but the weird thing is that it happened inside the bank so how the hell could the bank survelliance not pick it up....insiders?
yea well he lost $2400 so i think my suggestion is if really ur bank card is stuck...dont call whatever number is posted which is what my friend did and well guess what..it's fake! it's a number directly to the con men...all it did was notify the thieves that they got cash to pick up. ok la everyone careful...esp with using ur card to withdraw..alot of times though u get lots of counterfeit $$$
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.friendster.com/jenjenlin
Napole
Emperor
Emperor

Male
Number of posts : 46
Grade (Ex:IET04 or guest) : CM04
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Protect yourself in China. Part1: ATM scam   Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:03 am

Well I have a similar story about "bank of china" in Yangshuo, but for this time, it's the bank manager the robber men.

Well it happened to 50 tourists, so they went to the only bank available to the West street Yangshuo and withdraw some money. The problem is that when they withdraw, the ATM told them that they can't withdraw and ask them to ask their bank for more informations or to retry later.

They do retry and the same thing happen again and again, but what they don't know is that each time they type the amount of money they want, the bank of china concider as withdraw but the ATM tells them that they can't. WTF???

So after noticed that, they went to complain toward the manager of the bank, and supprised!!!

The manager told them that he knows that the ATM has a problem and it actually take ur money away but doesn't give you any cash.
So he asked the tourists to complain to the headquarter of the bank of china and not to him, cuz according to him it's not him put the ATM here...

What a Lame bastard..... Well according to the tourist who posted the info, we story ended here and nobody did anything to help and the bank won with thousands of rmb.

Lesson of the story, if u go in Yangshuo, do not use the ATM, better wait 10mn to take ur money directly from an agent.

View user profile http://osd-jnu.lolbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protect yourself in China. Part1: ATM scam   

Back to top Go down

Protect yourself in China. Part1: ATM scam
Page 1 of 1